Thursday, June 8, 2017

Bousta Beanie (more knitting)

I had a long list of jobs to do today (I should be reading Zola, writing about some classic crime, hoovering, and so on) but I can't concentrate on anything much thanks to the distraction that is the general election. I can't ever remember caring so much about the result, and am currently well on my way to being a nervous wreck. On the whole it seems like a good time to think about knitting instead.

I made a hat, specifically Gudrun Johnston's Bousta Beanie (the pattern can be downloaded Here where it's currently free). She is patron of this years Shetland Wool Week, a hat pattern has become a traditional part of the event, and it's been fun seeing all the personal variations each knitter brings to them over the last few years (what kind of a world was it before Instagram?).

This one is intended for D, who might even wear it, and will match the cowl I finished a couple of weeks ago. I love everything about Johnston's design - which is simple enough for even a very amateur knitter, such as myself, to follow without trouble. Love it so much I've already started another one for another friend.

Simple as it is, it's still a breakthrough for me (actually, just following a pattern is a bit of a breakthrough). One which will let me look at more ambitious projects with a bit more of a can do attitude, so a big thank you to Gudrun Johnston and the Shetland Wool Week team for providing such a confidence building project.

6 comments:

  1. Sympathies... look what we elected, but with Corbin jabbering about the UN & the lib-dems blathering about pot, surely the outcome is further gone than George 3?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hoovering can always wait. Not a UK resident, but you have my deepest sympathies -- I couldn't watch the disaster that was the US election last year, and I still can't watch TV news. Knitting is a good thing for difficult times. That beanie is adorable and I'm so tempted to download the pattern, but I have am embarrassing amount of half-finished projects!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this pattern, have almost completed another one. I'm having to stop myself commenting on Facebook and Twitter - people are sensitive at the moment (self included) and some days it all seems a bit precarious. It's a strange old world we're in.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did that hat very well, you will soon feel more confident and will start to make cardigans and jumpers etc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you. I think steeling has to be the next thing I try doing, it's all about building up those skills! I must admit I do like quick projects though...

    ReplyDelete