Sunday, April 24, 2016

Serpents In Eden - Countryside Crimes

Edited by Martin Edwards.

There's nothing like a short story collection to see you through a weekend away from the rest of your books, and that's certainly one reason why I like them so much. The British Library collections have never failed me yet, and this one was no exception to that rule.

I say this every time but the series continues from strength to strength - at least I certainly think so. I loved this collection, Margery Allingham's 'A Proper Mystery' was my favourite - it's a dark tale of sabotage and vegetable marrows which manages to be as funny as it is tense, as well as a beautifully executed vision of country life -  and all without a single murder.

Leonora Wodehouses 'The Inquest' does have a murder, but also an unexpected (and pleasing) twist, it seems we really lost a talent when she died before she could really develop her literary career (she was P.G. Wodehouse's step daughter if you were wondering about the name). It's another highlight - these two alone are worth the purchase price - so the other eleven stories are quite the bonus.

It's hard to say much without either writing a list or giving a lot away, or just repeating how much I love this collection over and over again. (I really do). Which is why I've never understood why short story anthologies aren't much more popular, who couldn't get excited by the prospect of a bakers dozen of carefully chosen stories each with something unexpected to offer. For me these British Library collections are a chance to meet old friends and find new ones, which helps on those occasions when I find myself face to face with boxes of old penguin crime novels looking for a familiar name (Christine's book cabin in Market Harborough - it's in a shed at the back of a car park near the Co-Op if you're ever in the area - has just such boxes...)

8 comments:

  1. This looks like a great collection! Of course it won't be available in the US for years, sigh. I'm really intrigued by the Margery Allingham story. I've read some of her non Campion stories and enjoyed them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one is all about sabotage at the village show, and just genius - or at least I think so! I love these collections and can't have enough of them. Not just crime fiction but short stories generally. They're just what I need to fill up those odd gaps in the day spent on buses or tea breaks.

      Delete
  2. Ooh, this one's on my want list, and even more so to hear how good it is! Last year I got a set of eleven of these British Library Crime Classics, and so far have only read one, and didn't pick the right one. 'Murder In Piccadilly' was not quite my cup of tea, so to speak, but this collection sounds very appealing, and what lovely cover art too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't read that one yet, though I've basically enjoyed all of the ones I have read so far. The beauty of the short story collection is that it doesn't ask for the same investment of time and concentration, and if one doesn't appeal it's no great shame. I won't say I'm easily pleased (because I'm not) but I have found these anthologies particularly good - probably as much because they fit so well into my day as anything else. the one that's on my wish list is the Mummy collection they have coming out in October, I hope that's going to be as bonkers as it sounds.

      Delete
  3. I love these anthologies too -- have this collection by my bed and must get around to it soon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do like short stories, I think I shall be putting this on my 'want to read' list, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I do hope you enjoy it as much as I did, I absolutely adore these collections!

    ReplyDelete