Wednesday, April 27, 2016

A Knitting Project

Dad gave me some lovely yarn when I saw him at the beginning of April - Jamieson's ultra cobweb in a natural white, and I thought two weeks would be more than long enough to knit a scarf for a friends birthday. I was a bit optomistic on the time scale, but after only 3 weeks I got it done, and finally gave it to her today so now I can share the details (which I'm doing because I'm really pleased with it rather than because I assume you're all interested...).

I had initially intended to try a slightly more complicated pattern but found I was making to many mistakes, so decided to go right back to basics and do something simple well. I like quick results so I'm always really pleased to finish something bigger as its a step in the right direction of taking on more interesting projects.

Half way through it occurred to me that as nice as the natural wool is to handle (so soft) creamy white isn't everyone's colour of choice, and R likes properly bright things so I decided to dip the ends in pink cold water dye, at the time I thought it would be the scariest part of the process (a lot of work gone if it hadn't worked, shrunk, felted, or done some other hideous thing) but it was fine (no reason for it to be otherwise). In fact the scary but turned out to be blocking the scarf, it stretched much more than I expected to, didn't fit on the towel I pinned it out on, and it became clear that if I made a mess of it, a mess is what I'd end up with.

It came out okay, but blocking is something I'll need to think about more carefully in future, the finishing really does make all the difference.



8 comments:

  1. The scarf looks great!

    I agree that blocking is something that takes time to do well. If you're going to be knitting a lot of lace then I would recommend investing in blocking wires and T pins - it makes all the difference.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It sounds like very good advice. I really enjoyed knitting this for all it took a bit of time and see myself going quite a bit more so I need to get that bit right.

      Delete
  2. I think the pink color adds to the beauty of this scarf.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the way it lifted it a bit, and it's made it much more wearable for my friend which is what matters. I guess it's just because it was such lovely yarn that it felt a bit wrong to be dying it at the time.

      Delete
  3. That is pretty. It looks enormously long on one of those pictures, how long is it, in fact?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never measured it! But from the length of the towel I think about 5 feet, maybe an inch or two more.

      Delete
  4. I have a large piece of carpet in the basement for blocking wraps and scarves. T-pin everything out and then place a damp towel over the piece, lift when dry. Works like a charm. The dyed ends look fabulous, what a great idea for brightening up an every day colour!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cold water dye so it was easy to do - no messing about with washing machines or high temperatures and I'm pleased with how it turned out. My flat doesn't have much space so I can see blocking will be an issue, but nothing a bit of ingenuity can't handle (I hope).

    ReplyDelete