Sunday, March 31, 2013

Easter Weekend

Sadly it's almost over and time for me to go back to work (bank holidays don't really happen in retail) but I'm till feeling quite pleased at getting a very unusual three days off together, and having got them managing to have such a very nice time, and unusually still having a lot of chocolate left. 

Today has been far more about the boat race than any religious festival which may have coincided with it and probably more about cake than either. I enjoy the boat race, probably because it's the sort of sport I can understand - only 2 teams, 1 winner, and it doesn't last very long. It's also pretty to watch, I live next to the river in Leicester where both our local university teams practice - watching the eights working together is always impressive even when they're only beginning and still a bit clumsy. This years race was very satisfying to watch, not least because Oxford won so under the terms of our traditional bet my partner now owes me a pack of tea cakes (Tunnock's naturally).
Making Easter eggs turned out to be a really good plan, there has been a small but definite improvement in my chocolate handling skills, but more to the point is the time it takes. I like making bread for the same reason; although no individual part of the process takes to long or is especially demanding you can't rush it, a couple of hours pottering around with the radio for company and the air scented with melting chocolate is as good a way as any to wind down when I can't handle the excitement of a book. I meant to take better egg pictures but they got eaten and I didn't.

There was also a cake - there had to be a cake, I couldn't spend 3 days at home without making one and I had a real craving for a honey cake. This one is hard to beat although I still haven't actually made it with wholemeal flour (this time I had some nice spelt flour which has come out lovely). It's a shame cake isn't a healthy option - this one isn't shy of either butter or sugar but it's so good that I just don't care.

7 comments:

  1. Boat race was good, wasn't it? Yay for Oxford! Cake looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was a brilliant race this year, I was on the edge of my seat for a bit. I really wanted those teacakes (victory is sweet)

      Delete
  2. Being devoured without being photographed is a marker of excellence in my family too. Happy Easter! (I went to the Other Place, so shan't comment on the Boat Race.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My support for Oxford doesn't go very deep but my love of the boat race does which is why I thought yesterday's was such a good race. Better luck next year...

      Delete
  3. Happy Easter! Although bah humbug to Oxford. Sorry.

    That looks delicious and do you know, I might even make it. There has been quite a bit of baking at gallimaufry towers in the past few weeks, and yesterday I went wild and made some hot cross buns - they're quite tasty, although hot cross bricks might be a more apt name for them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Easter to you too Helen, it's a lovely cake though I'm not convinced it needs quite so much butter - I know I don't need to eat as much butter anyway. Hot cross buns sound good, and I'm enjoying your blog being back too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. We too enjoyed the Boat Race, being fortunate to pop along & cheer it on, then back to the warm & more eating of cakes & chocolate.

    ReplyDelete