Sunday, December 23, 2012

Happy Christmas


Well it's the end of an unbelievably busy day at work (followed by 'Great Expectations' which was quite satisfying) and I still have to pack up ready to go to my mothers after work tomorrow, wrap the last few presents, put a load of washing on, and generally make sure that when she comes round the place looks half presentable... 


Christmas isn't really my favourite time of year. The last week at work has been challenging, it feels like I have a bruise for every day of advent, my back hurts, I seem to have broken every single nail, my hands are a mass of paper cuts from cardboard boxes and scratches from broken glass, and I ran over my foot with a cage of wine (they weigh about a third of a ton so it's lucky that I've only got another cut and not a broken foot). Such is the physical reality of Christmas in retail. My mood is probably in an even worse state than my body (depressing thought). Happily at 5 O'clock tomorrow it will all be other for another year and I can think about relaxing (books and jaffa cakes feature large in my plans for the next couple of weeks).

2012 has been a mixed year, the last month especially has bought quite a lot of bad news culminating with the death of a much loved family friend so I'm particularly looking forward to a new year and a new start this time round. Wrapping up the last presents is a reminder of much better things in life - things to be grateful for rather than to mourn over.

I hope we all have the Christmas we want and that 2013 brings good things - by new year the bruises will have faded and the champagne will be chilled.

Happy Christmas!

7 comments:

  1. Merry Christmas, Hayley & I hope all your bumps & scratches have a chance to heal over the Christmas holiday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you have a nice time this Christmas, despite of all those cuts and bruises. I just wanted to take the opportunity to say how much I enjoy reading your blog. Take care and all the best in 2013.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas, Hayley. Enjoy your books and jaffa cakes (sounds like an excellent plan to me!) and all the best for 2013!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wishing you a restful & calm Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I hear you, Hayley...Christmas isn't my tradition or my favorite time either, and all the jangle of traffic and shopping and crazed people desperate to have a perfect holiday, makes for a very wearing atmosphere. I'm looking forward to a restful time too, and I second, or third, the notion of Jaffa cakes and books! Peace to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A peaceful Christmas.

    Books and cake (although personally not keen on Jaffa's) is the way ahead!

    ReplyDelete